7 1/2 'Tricks' To Keep Your Marketing Emails Out Of The Spam Folder
Published 18th January 2016
In order for your emails to actually be opened, read and clicked on, you need to ensure that they are landing in the inbox and not in the spam folder. There are a few sneaky but ethical tricks to implement when aiming for the inbox of your prospective trader. If you cannot even make it into the inbox, then simply forget about higher deposits, new clients and building a reputable brand through your email marketing efforts. Always keep in mind that nothing will happen until your email gets opened. This article is your guide to increasing your prospect conversions by ensuring your emails hit the inbox with these 7 1/2 email marketing tricks to keeping your emails far from the spam folder.
Trick #1 – Use proven subject lines
Your subject line is the first and foremost aspect of your email that will decide whether it will get opened or not. There are a number of subject lines that have been proven to work, so do not try and reinvent the wheel: stick to the following points in order to increase your open rates, which will in turn save your emails from landing in the spam folder.
- Odd numbers: Believe it or not, the human brain naturally tends to be more attracted to odd numbers as they feel more credible. Example: “You can make $739 in a day with this strategy....” sounds much more believable than “How I made $10,000 in one week”
- Scarcity: Put a time limit on your offer. This gives people the need to open the email and take up your offer which won’t be around for much longer. Example: “This is your FINAL notice.” This type of subject line communicates the need to act now or the recipient might miss out on something.
- Questions: Asking someone a question is extremely powerful. Everyone wants to answer a question that is being asked. For example: “Have you seen this yet?” They will have this question in their mind and start engaging with the email right from the subject line.
- RE: This one is great in giving your reader the impression that this is an email that has been replied to. They will be compelled to open the email as they will think that you are replying to one of their previous emails. For example: “RE: Boost your trading balance”
Negative: Turn on any news channel and 99.99% of the time the stories will be negative. The human mind is psychologically compelled to respond more to negative news as opposed to positive news. For example: “Don’t make the same mistake I did.”
Trick #2 – Get that second subject line spot-on
Your potential traders will initially see 3 things when your email hits their inbox:
- The ‘From’ name
- The subject line
- The second subject line (your pre-header) If you want your emails to have a positive open rate, then optimizing your second subject line is vital.
Firstly, you need to ensure that it is compelling and persuades your prospective trader to open the email. Secondly, it needs to be benefitbased, meaning that if they ignored the first subject line, then the second will certainly persuade them to open the email and thus increase your open rates – helping your all-important emails to steer clear of the spam folder.
Trick #3 – avoid morning email rush
According to Movable Ink’s US Consumer Device Preference Report, 49% of people check their emails on their smartphone first thing in the morning. But the downfall is that few plan to actually take action with these emails. They are simply lying in bed flicking through their inbox. Their main plan is to clean up all of their unwanted emails before starting their working day. You do not want your email to be among these! Make sure to send your emails later in the morning, or even better, in the afternoon, keeping in mind the time zone of your potential client, to ensure that your email will get opened, read and interacted with. The last thing you want is for your “100% deposit bonus” to go to waste simply because your sending time was off.
Trick #4 – You need more than one link
This is one that will not only increase your email engagement, helping you to remain in the inbox, but will also increase your chances of deposits and trader sign-ups. In each email, be sure to include not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 links, or more if you like. Always bear in mind that more links = more clicks (within reason). And this does not mean that all four links can be the same. Make sure to mix them up so your reader has the chance to explore different offers from your brand. Maybe they don’t fancy clicking on the “deposit now” link, but would be attracted to the next; “increase your investment by 100% now”. Try this process, and you will love the results:
- Make the reader curious with your first link.
- Give them a benefit with your second.
- Provide social proof in your third link
- Motivate them to act now with a fourth scarcity link.
Trick #5 – Survey
You don’t want to overuse this trick, but if used sparsely, you will see those conversions roll in. Using a fake survey will increase you click-through rate by leaps and bounds and is a great way to segment your list by seeing what answer choice they clicked on. Your lead or client will be directed to an answer-optimised landing page after they click. But remember to ensure that the landing page is relevant to the survey so that they will want to either sign up or deposit (whichever action you choose to promote).
Trick #6 – Clean your list
This one is vital, so do not skip it. List hygiene is crucial to your engagement score – which is essential to ensuring your emails are getting delivered to the inbox and not the spam folder. This, in turn, leads to opens, clicks, deposits, further deposits, loyal traders and so on. Now do you see how important list hygiene is? In order to have a clean list that will help give you brand the results you need, carry out the following:
- Typos and fake emails – remove addresses like email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Duplicate contacts – remove any emails that are on your list more than once.
- Hard bounces – hard bounces must be removed without delay.
- Spam addresses – immediately eliminate any addresses with word spam in them.
- Unsubscribes and complaints – if someone unsubscribes from your emails then they should be instantly removed, or they will start marking your email as spam!
- Inactive subscribers – if you have subscribers that have not clicked or opened your emails in the last 90 days, then it is high time to let them go. Your engagement score is paying the price for having these addresses in your data base, so don’t wait any longer.
Trick #7 – Give them something to “watch”
You do it, I do it, I bet we all do it. When you see a play button, the majority of the time you click on it. So why not utilize this trick in your emails? Simply use an image of a video in your email with a play button on top of it to entice your prospective readers to click on it. But once they do, rather than watch a video right away, they will be directed to your landing page to see the video (don’t forget to link the play button to your page) - sneaky but hugely effective! Our last little ½ bonus tip to keep your emails out of the spam folder... Use a countdown timer. This will give your offer serious huge scarcity boost, enticing your lead to take action immediately. Use them only if you want to create urgency for an offer so that your lead or client does not miss out! Put these 7 ½ tricks into practice and you will no longer have to worry about your emails going to the spam folder. Remember, the more emails that hit the inbox, the more new clients and deposits you will get from your effective email marketing plan.